Shuswap Agriculture Strategy
In March 2011, the Salmon Arm Economic Development Society (SAEDS) and CSRD Shuswap Economic Development (CSRD-SED) held an Agriculture Discussion Group to engage local agriculture producers in a discussion on agriculture in the Shuswap region.
In attendance were agriculture producers from the various sectors of the industry (dairy farmers, produce growers, cattle ranchers, wineries, poultry producers, local government, and other agriculture organizations).
The SAEDS and the CSRD-SED were attempting to obtain a better understanding of the opportunities and challenges for the agriculture industry in the Shuswap region and as business service organizations, how we could provide services that would assist agriculture industry businesses. Our organizations also realized that any future agriculture initiatives pursued would have to be reflective of local needs and provide the most benefit to the end user – our local farmers.
Opportunities and challenges identified through the discussion group were:
- Policy, Process, Regulation
- Labour shortages
The conclusions from this discussion group provided enough information to enable the SAEDS and CSRD to move forward with the development of a regional Shuswap Agriculture Strategy to address the opportunities and challenges identified.
The Shuswap Agriculture Strategy was completed in June 2014. It can be found here:
- REPORT: CSRD Agriculture Strategy Final Report.pdf
- APPENDICES: CSRD Agriculture Strategy Appendices.pdf
The general objectives of the Shuswap Agriculture Strategy are as follows:
- Develop an agriculture steering committee to ensure that local producers will guide the development of the Shuswap Agriculture Strategy
- To promote the local image of agriculture to increase public awareness and support for local food production
- To strengthen the agriculture sector consultation processes including policy, planning and regulations
- To support agriculture organizations in providing services to producers
- To support the processing or adding of value and marketing of agricultural products
- To maintain and enhance agricultural production research
- To facilitate educational opportunities for producers and aspiring producers on opportunities in agriculture which may include new market opportunities, on-site training, and community education of the agriculture industry.
- To increase production, revenues, and employment for the agriculture industry not only in the local market, but larger domestic and international markets
- To create an implementation strategy within the Shuswap Agriculture Strategy that defines the role and responsibilities of each partner to ensure that challenges and opportunities for the agriculture industry are addressed
- To address the issue of food security which focuses on a sustainable agriculture industry that balances environmental health, economic profitability, and socio-economic equity in the Shuswap
- To create a Shuswap Agriculture Strategy that will differentiate the agriculture industry in the Shuswap from other regions in BC